Wednesday, March 2, 2016

The Doctor's appointment went well

Yesterday I finally made an appointment with my regular doctor, and she actually had an opening today -- so I saw her this morning, and it went better than I'd expected! We talked about my weight loss and how I'd gotten down to 72 kilos at the end of July, just 4 kilos from goal -- and then a trip overseas brought about 6 kilos back again and I've struggled since then. I told her all the things I've been trying to get it moving again, including a return to Phase 1, intermittent fasting, LCHF, and other techniques. I said I'd been doing my own online research and in a list of 12 thyroid symptoms I had 8 of them, though some of those are also common to PCOS, so it could just be that.

I don't know what I was expecting -- I guess in the past doctors have always made me feel like I wasn't doing something right, I wasn't trying hard enough. She didn't do that -- I actually felt very positive leaving her office today. She could see how far I've come and obviously I don't need diet and exercise advice. She said the problem could very well be due to hormonal changes, even if I don't go through menopause until 55 like my mother did. What really made me feel better is she said if that is the problem, there are things we can do about it. But first, she does want to check my thyroid. Yay!

Then of course because I only come in when I have a concern rather than for regular check-ups, she checked my file again and said the mammogram can wait, but I was overdue for a pap test, and she wants to check my liver and iron (I have hemochromatosis) -- oh and she wants to do a Glucose Tolerance Test. Yuck! I had one before I started Dr Poon and that's when I learned I was pre-diabetic. The last time we discussed it she didn't care to do one because if I was still pre-diabetic her recommendations would be to change my diet which I'd already done. But maybe she wants to rule it out as contributing to my current problem.  So we got the pap out of the way there and then -- and tomorrow morning I go to pathology for all the other tests (I'm fasting from 9pm tonight).

As much as I am NOT looking forward to drinking that nasty glucose syrup drink, it will be good to at least have some answers. And I'm rather anxious to hear what she feels we can do about it if the problem is hormonal.

Lastly, we discussed the progesterone cream I've been using. I told her I believed I was estrogen dominant, and started using this hoping that it might help. While it has got my cycle back to every 28 days instead of three weeks, I haven't noticed any other benefits -- certainly not weight loss.  She didn't feel there was any point in continuing with the cream, and felt I should just let my body do its own thing as I approach menopause. She said it's common for your period to come more frequently in the last years, and that there are actually health benefits to being estrogen dominant, so I shouldn't worry about that. That surprised me, as it's not what my research has shown. Truthfully, if it had been helping with weight loss, I would stick it out anyway, but as it's not I'll finish the cycle I'm in now (the jar is nearly empty) and won't be buying any more. When I do eventually go through menopause, I can always start it again if I'm experiencing any bothersome symptoms.

Anyway, that's the scoop -- I'll let you know how I go tomorrow. By the way, she thought 68 kilos is a good goal weight for me. At my age, and given that I've spent most of my life morbidly obese -- I'll be thrilled with 68 kilos.

10 comments:

  1. It is so great when you can get a medical professional that actually works WITH you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad she was so open and supportive. p.s. a blood test can be done re menopause.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You mean to tell when I'm going to go through it or just whether it's starting to mess with my hormones? I'll try to remember to ask about that.

      Delete
  3. Great news! Glad you are getting the testing done. If I had not been home testing, I would have diabetes by now and much more weight gain, too. There are lots of FB groups out there (LCHF), Low carb, etc that have members who are controlling their glucose with diet.

    Good luck with the GTT. No fun. Glad they are keeping check on your liver enzymes with the hemochromatosis. And iron levels. That will keep you well.

    Take care and hope you get some answers. Karen P.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ... I should have the results next week.

      Delete
  4. A good doctor appointment is a great thing. I'm usually disappointed by them. Sigh.

    Hope you get answers to all your questions and hope the answers are good. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually am, too! That's why this was so encouraging. I don't know what a 'good result' is though. I don't want to have any medical conditions of course, but on the other hand if I do there would at least be an explanation! I'm more interested in what she thinks we can DO about it.

      Delete
  5. Such good news to read about your Doctor working with you, and great to hear she said yes to your thyroid test.

    Looking forward to reading your next post.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan. Don't know if thyroid trouble is good news but it might explain the trouble I've been having.

      Delete

Sorry anonymous commenters, but you'll have to prove you're not a robot because the spammers were driving me crazy! They never get through yet they were persistent!