Monday, March 16, 2015

I ran 40 minutes? What was I thinking?

I assure you I wasn't thinking I could actually do it. But as increasing my speed wasn't working so well for me, today I decided to try increasing my run time instead. I had no delusion that I could actually run 40 minutes, even with a one minute walk every ten minutes. I thought I'd keep it at 8kph and go as long as I could. Surely I could get through the first three sets ... I'm already running 30 minutes.

When the fourth set started I remember thinking I would try to get through three minutes ... then my music ran out and I wondered how I'd keep going because I sure didn't want to just watch the timer for seven minutes. So I focused on the part of the display that features a loop of dots that light up one by one to mark your distance. Once around the loop is 400 meters. So I watched the dots light up and did not look at the count-down timer until it got 1/4 of the way around. That made it much easier and before I knew it I'd finished!  I ran 40 minutes at 8kph with three 1-minute walks in between. And I felt freaking awesome!

You don't know what you're capable of until you try. All up I went 6.8 klm, about 1.3 klm of that was walking so that means I ran 5.5 klm. I can finally say I ran 5k.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Gwen! I can feel it this morning. And now I guess I have to do it again Wednesday ... what WAS I thinking? LOL

      Delete
  2. "And I felt freaking awesome!"

    So brilliant to hear you say that. Congratulations.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan ... now I have to do it again! Eeek!? LOL

      Delete

Sorry anonymous commenters, but you'll have to prove you're not a robot because the spammers were driving me crazy! They never get through yet they were persistent!