Saturday, February 14, 2015

New low weight! IF is working, and so is Callanetics!

I'm still doing 5:2 intermittent fasting, with Thursday and Sunday as my planned fast days. It's much easier than you might think, and I like it heaps better than the daily fast with an 8 hour eating window. I'd heard it gets easier each time you do it, and that does seem to be the case for me.

Now before I give this week's results, let me remind you there's only been one fast day since I last updated you because I did it a day earlier last week, and this is the week I would normally start gaining water weight. But happily, I weighed in at 80.1 kg (176.59 lb), beating my previous record on 14th December of 80.2 kg (176.81 lb) by just 100 grams. I'm down 0.8 kg (1.76 lb) from last week, for a total loss of 50.2 kg (110.67 lb).

I've been working very hard over the last few weeks to break this stall and it seems to be working! In fact, if I lose just 1.18 kg (2.6 lb) more I will no longer be obese - very much looking forward to that!

Fasting and running are definitely helping with the weight loss, but I am really loving the way Callanetics is working to tone and tighten everything up. I remember years ago when I first did Callanetics I took pictures at the start and then once a week for the next several weeks - you could definitely see a difference, everything looked higher, firmer and tighter, my stomach and saddlebags were smaller, too. I didn't take pictures this time, but I can feel it happening, and others are noticing as well. It's amazing how fast these exercises work! I have had comments in the last few days, both from my husband (who said my skin is tightening up for sure) and people at work (one said I look skinnier). That just confirms what I've been feeling myself. I can tell that my body not only feels stronger, but firmer and tighter as well, even under the chin. I love that!

So I'm still getting in my three C25K running sessions each week (last night I completed week 6 day 3, running 22 minutes straight) on the treadmill. On the following days I'm walking about an hour on average and also doing Callanetics. That leaves Sunday as a rest day, but I often get in another walk then as well.

I have never been someone who enjoyed exercise before, but now that I'm really committed to doing it regularly, I actually look forward to it, especially Callanetics. I know I probably sound like a commercial here, but it just feels so good! I turn on Pandora's 70s Lite Rock channel and slowly work through all the moves. I know the routine by heart so I don't need the video anymore, and the music sets the mood - it almost feels like yoga and meditation. Callanetics are slow, pulsing movements that work muscles deep inside the body (and you will definitely feel it) - but it's also slow, relaxing movements and deep stretches. I just really enjoy this workout.

Here's an article that will explain it better if you're interested, and below is a brief excerpt:
"The exercises are based on repetitive contractions in a very small range of motion. These minute movements, called 'pulses', work deep down into the muscles. Instead of contracting then releasing the muscles and repeating this pattern, the Callanetics method encourages one pulsing into a deep contraction. The exercises do not put any strain on the cardiovascular system, or any pressure on the joints, since there is no bouncing kind of movement involved."
I highly recommend this program. I use the original workout developed by Callan Pinckney. There are newer variations out there, but I stick to the original. I modify just three of the moves to ease pressure on my knees, but I do all of the exercises. It takes an hour if you follow the original video workout, but once you know the moves you can do it on your own and I find it takes me about 40 minutes.

I'm about half way through The End of Overeating by David Kessler and it's really good, though I've been doing my own research and eating healthier for long enough that most of what I'm reading doesn't surprise me. It does anger me, which is the reaction I believe Gwen had when she read it. Even today, Valentine's Day, I was waiting at the 7-Eleven while hubby was paying for petrol and through the front window I saw posters for the latest extreme, sugar-filled Slurpee flavours and heart-shaped Krispy Kreme donuts, while on the shelves I saw nothing but chips and other junk food snacks. Is that all they sell? I saw families coming out of the place, young children and all, munching on this junk.

In years past, on whatever diet I was on at that time, I would see something like that and feel deprived. Why can't I eat those things when everyone else can? Today I just felt angry. Angry that you can't go anywhere these days without being bombarded by garbage food and angry that for so many years I let that garbage control me. I felt powerless to say no. I've reclaimed my life and my power, but I know there are others still where I was then that are still in the control of this garbage and it really angers me. What kind of future are we setting up for our children? Instead of an occasional indulgence, this junk is now part of every day lives. What a shame.

Anyway, off my soapbox and on with improving my life. I'm looking forward to seeing a kilo weight in the 70s next week -- fingers crossed!

7 comments:

  1. See? SEE how powerful that book is in it's motivation via anger? Love it!

    And congrats on all of the rest! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's true, I felt everything you've been preaching about as I read it.

      Delete
  2. p.s. I just ordered 2 Callanetics DVD's. Looking forward to them. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh which ones? I can only vouch for the original, but I look forward to hearing about your experience with them.

      Delete
  3. I was sure I left a comment here the other day??? Never mind. Well done on the weight. Are you eating anything at all of the fasting days? We are going to start having two very low eating days a week and see if that helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynda you are allowed up to 500 calories on a fasting day but I don't have anything. I just find it easier to have nothing. I am one of those people who can't eat just a small portion and be satisfied. I would find myself saying a little more won't hurt and then I'd be over 500 in no time. I am not experiencing any real hunger so I just don't eat.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for that - I see your point about no food and I am sure that is a much better way if you can do it!! We are having a low food today, just chia porridge for breakfast and vegetable soup for dinner.

      Delete

Sorry anonymous commenters, but you'll have to prove you're not a robot because the spammers were driving me crazy! They never get through yet they were persistent!