Saturday, December 20, 2014

Christmas came early ...

I love my hubby. He's a good gift giver. Not a good gift hider, mind you, but a good giver. You may recall on my birthday my present was 'spoiled' because it was too big to hide, so he'd put it in the spare room, which I often go into. Not the game room, which is more his domain. I like games too, he just spends more time in there than I do. Anyway, I came home Thursday and went into the spare room and lo and behold - a huge treadmill!  I'd been hoping Santa would find me one - second hand, but decent. And he did!  But of course it was in the spare room, so I found it early. I need to read the book and learn the basics of it but hubby has already taken it for a test spin.

This is great timing really, I've been taking longer walks and increasing my running time, and with fly season - I mean summer - upon us, and the extreme heat some days, runner friends had warned me you have to go really early or really late to avoid the heat. Now I can avoid both flies and heat. Not only that, we've had so much rain lately I've had to do a few more video workouts instead of running, so no matter what the weather I can now go for as long a walk/run as I like.  Having said that - I've never run on a treadmill before, and I don't know how different it's going to feel from running outside. But I'm excited to try it out.  How many of you have a preference, either for or against, using a treadmill vs running outside?  Besides lack of flies and cooler temperatures, I can think of another benefit - a smooth surface. The road with the inclines that I've been running lately has some really bad broken sidewalks, dips and other trip hazards that I do worry about, so I think a smooth and constant surface that still has inclines should be nice.

With Christmas just around the corner and plans with family and friends, I likely won't be posting much over the next week or so, but I'll be back.  If you are still following along and interested in my journey, know that I appreciate your comments, but I am getting two to three times as much spam as real comments these days, so I may be putting a captcha on as previously discussed. In any case, I wish you all a wonderful Christmas and I'll be back soon to talk about trying out the new treadmill. Hope Santa is very good to you all! :)

7 comments:

  1. congrats on the treadmill, and merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh....
    On the 9th (is it the ninth? We count from the 12th in my fam) day of Christmas, my true love gave to me... A treadmill for the summer.

    It's been years since I have been on a treadmill and even then, I wasn't running, just speedwalking. I seem to remember it being "easier" in terms of effort, because of course, the ground is moving away from under your feet, rather than you having to propel yourself forward with pushing your foot on the ground.

    I suppose you'll find that out with all the settings and programs you've got available. : )

    No matter what, the convenience of being able to walk/run when you feel ready to, and not at inconvenient times, just because of the heat (hello, Qld!) has got to be the biggest plus to this.

    Have a merry and enjoyable Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you still have to propel yourself lest you go flying backwards with it, lol, but we'll see. Yup, in Qld you would know a thing or two about heat. Lol we spent a couple holidays in Qld in spring and autumn and loved it so much hubby wants to move there. I reminded him it can be a bit hotter come summertime. Have a lovely Christmas. :)

      Delete
  3. Merry Christmas! The Aussie salute ... brushing the flies off my face! We still talk about how awful the flies were when we lived in Perth ... we'd always say we knew we were back in Oz after holiday in the US when we swallowed our first fly. Blech. Never been on a treadmill ... I am very uncoordinated and am sure I'd go flying off the back. However, everybody I know who has one loves it and the control over the speed and incline it gives you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A treadmill .....enjoy using it - I'm sure you will.

    A little early maybe but good wishes for 2015 - it's just around the corner

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well that is just annoying. I don't know if my comment went through because I had a blogger error. I asked if there was a bow on the treadmill at least. I will be playing in the sandbox again shortly. :)

    ReplyDelete

Sorry anonymous commenters, but you'll have to prove you're not a robot because the spammers were driving me crazy! They never get through yet they were persistent!