Monday, July 28, 2014

Measurements, and Day 1 of 30 Day Shred

I last posted my measurements back in December, which was four months into my weight loss. At that time I had lost 21.5" (54.63cm) but I had only measured one arm and one thigh. If I double those losses to include both arms and thighs, the total was 25.875" (65.75 cm) overall.  Not bad for four months!

But today I was starting Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred, so I wanted to know my starting point to compare with 30 days from now. I have not taken my measurements since December, so I really wasn't prepared for the results.  Shown below is a screen shot of my spreadsheet - my starting measurements 19th August 2013 (BMI 49.3), and today (BMI 32.4). I gotta say I was gobsmacked. The sub-totals include just the measurements I actually took, so again I doubled the arm/thigh measurements and that's the second total line. I've lost 54.5 inches (138.44 cm) -- not bad!


So how did I go with the 30 Day Shred? Well ... I won't lie, it was tough! But there were only two moves I had to modify despite Jillian insisting there is no modification for these moves ... the jumping jacks, and jumping rope. She insisted during the workout that "400 pound people can do jumping jacks, and so can you!" Well as I struggled to do them all and thought I'd bitten off more than I could chew with this workout it occurred to me ... I couldn't do 1 minute intervals when I started the C25K either. I felt like I should just give up but I didn't. Instead I made my own recordings to create 15, 30 and 45 second intervals and did those to work up to the one minute intervals. It may have taken me longer to get through the C25K but I did it!

I decided that if I had to modify a couple of moves to get through this workout, then modify I would. I did proper jumping jacks and jump ropes over half of the time, but when it became too much for me I modified. For jumping jacks that meant keeping the arms going but side-stepping one leg at a time instead of jumping. For jump ropes, it meant instead of jumping with both feet, I sometimes did one foot at a time to lessen the impact. This is partly because I have bad knees but to be totally and completely honest here it was mostly because having lost nearly 100 pounds I have some loose belly flab that just wants to bounce way too hard! It was kind of painful actually. Maybe I need to wear a girdle to get through this workout! It's a thought. I've read that you improve rather quickly so even 4-5 days into it, you should notice it gets easier and you have more endurance. That's likely true, but 4-5 days isn't going to make any difference in my excess skin and flab moving around when I jump.

Also, I think my weights may be too heavy for some of the arm work. Mine are 2.5 kg (about 5.5 lb) and for some exercises they were a bit heavy. But I don't know if I should go out and get 1.5 or 2kg weights, or just keep going now that I've got through day one with these weights.  I don't want to overdo it.  I'd love to hear from anyone else who's done this program - what weight did you use?

There are 3 levels to this workout, each one is done daily for 10 days. I am gonna do my damnedest to make it to the end! Anyway, that's my report for today - I'll be back at it again tomorrow.

18 comments:

  1. I've ordered this DVD so it will be interesting to see how you go - hopefully I can do it too but mine won't get delivered to me for awhile. You are doing so well!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynda, you'll do fine, you won't have the flab to deal with! Lol

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Gwen, I'm happy with those measurements ... it will help to remember them on the days I feel like I still have far to go.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Desiree, I sure am feeling it this morning!

      Delete
  4. I have two days left on Level 3. (I am doing the video 30 times, which is taking me about 60 days.) I use 5 lb weights for some moves (shoulder stuff!) and 8s for the rest. But I think they're using 3s in the video.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you used those from day one? I wondered if I might need heavier weights for the next levels.

      Delete
    2. Yes, I have. The next levels change things up. I could have probably used 10s for the hammer curls in level 2. In Level 3, you barely use weights at all (except for in the cardio segment, and let me tell you, I am NOT doing jumping jacks with anything heavier than a 5!!); it's lots of body-weight stuff.

      Delete
    3. OMG jumping jacks with weights? I can barely do them now! Oh my ...

      Delete
  5. Oh, and I wear tight yoga pants to help with the tummy-bounce. I'm thinking of buying some compression sportswear, as I've heard that really helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just ordered a pair of high-waisted compression pants ... according to their size chart I should just be able to get into a large pair, so they should be tight enough to keep me stable. In the mean time I might try doubling up on the workout shorts.

      Delete
  6. You're doing well just take care (I'm sure you will)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan ... I'm feeling it today so not sure how I'll get through it tonight! Lol

      Delete
  7. The 30 day shred is next on my list. Modification is fine, you have to listen to your body. As long as you still push yourself to improve from week to week you'll get stronger and things like jumping jacks won't be so hard. Congrats on the measurements!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. That's what I figure, modifying is better than giving up! :)

      Delete
  8. I have read that you can use cans (soup/beans/whatever) as weights for lighter ones. That might be a good way to get started. I tried the shred once just to see what it was like and I got to the jumping jakcs and was like YEAH F THAT. LOL

    Can't wait to hear what you think as you progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt the same way on the jumping jacks which is why when I felt like quitting I thought it best to modify. Hopefully they get easier!

      Delete

Sorry anonymous commenters, but you'll have to prove you're not a robot because the spammers were driving me crazy! They never get through yet they were persistent!