Saturday, May 24, 2014

Down 90 Pounds in just over 9 Months! And remember Callanetics?

Yesterday I was thrilled to hit 89.1 kg (196.43 lb) which put me at nearly 91 pounds lost! Today I saw 89.5 kg (197.31 lb) which is down 1.2 kg (2.65 lb) from last week, and brings my total loss to 40.8 kg (89.95 lb). Fluctuations happen, and I reckon 89.95 is close enough that I can still claim 90 pounds down. That's still a nice drop - and I'll probably see a smaller one in the coming week, especially with my cycle coming around again soon.  That's just 9 months and 1 week to lose 90 pounds, and I couldn't be more pleased!

I have just two days left and I've finished the C25K program! Can you believe it? I have one more 28 minute run to do and then the final which is 30 minutes. The final 28 minute run was due last night, but I had plans with some girlfriends that I don't see often enough so I was going to run today.  But we laughed and talked so much last night that my throat was a bit sore! My throat can get a bit dry when I run though I do bring water with me but I thought rather than chance aggravating it more I would do a big one hour walk today instead. So either tomorrow or Monday will be the 2nd to last (28 minutes) and then maybe Wednesday or Thursday I'll do the final 30 minute run to finish the training program.

Then what? I just wanted to conquer my fears and make it through the program, but now I don't want to lose the endurance I've built up. I don't think running has contributed heaps to my actual weight loss, but it's certainly beneficial to my heart and lungs, and I do think it's made me a bit smaller and more toned.  It was lovely to hear compliments from my friends last night but when I reminded one that she'd last seen me just 4 kilos ago (I guess that is almost 9 pounds) she thought it looked like much more than four kilos. Plus I've fit into clothes that I couldn't just a couple of weeks ago, so I do think it's helped me shrink a bit.  I'm thinking I'll keep running 30 minutes at least twice a week and maybe do some other forms of exercise twice a week as well ... like maybe Callanetics, anyone remember that? Well it was big in the late 80s and early 90s, and according to this article it's been making a comeback due to celebrities like Madonna and Gwynneth Paltrow. Here's a blurb from the product line on their website:
I used to do Callanetics in the early 90s and I remember taking photos from one week to the next ... you could really see a difference, Callanetics works, and works fast. When I was looking for information on the program I found various forums where people were discussing it, and one lady said, "I have never had a workout make such changes to my body in such a short period of time. Though outdated (and sometimes boring), this one works like no other. I love it."  She's right, it was like 1988 when this was made, and unfortunately in the original video they spend time teaching the moves during the class, so there are times you want to fast forward once you know what you're doing. But I remember really liking this class and how fast I saw results, so I think I'll give it a go again.

There were various before and after photos in both the book and the video. I don't have the book anymore but was able to find this one on the internet:
Since the class takes about an hour to do, those results are after doing 19 workouts. I tended to do mine just twice a week and I got pretty dramatic results as well.  I don't think I still have those old pictures, but I'll be sure and take new ones when I start the program again. Some of the exercises are easier if you have a ballet bar in your house, and believe it or not I actually installed one back in the 90s. I don't have room to do that now, but what I do have is a game room with pinball machines to grab onto and stretch my limb across, so I think that may just work. :)

Anyway, that's my report for the week, hope you're all doing well and I can't wait to report that I've finished the C25K!

9 comments:

  1. Averaging 10 lbs/month of weight loss is AWESOME!! You've put in some great hard work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeanette, the hard work was mostly the training really, which was fairly recent. I have not found eating this way to be hard at all once you get past the first week or two.

      Delete
  2. You continue to rawk on! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're doing great.

    I wonder how Callanetics compare with Pilates ?

    Take Care

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried Pilates, but Callanetics involves very small, precise movements like pulses that you repeat 100 times slowly. It is very effective especially for saddlebags, tummies and double chins.

      Delete
  4. I have never heard of this Callanetics but it sounds like something I need. LOL I am looking on youtube now for some videos.SO super duped awesome!! Your going to hit 100 before you know it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's a snippet to give you an idea, you won't work up a sweat but you will feel your muscles working hard! As this shows, these are very small pulsing movements but they work!

      http://youtu.be/_BbsJh7LjVg

      Delete
    2. Oh and thanks, I can't wait to get to 100 pounds lost!

      Delete

Sorry anonymous commenters, but you'll have to prove you're not a robot because the spammers were driving me crazy! They never get through yet they were persistent!