Sunday, March 9, 2014

Down 32.8 kg (72.3 lb) as of today

So given my rather large drop last week of 1.6 kg (3.53 lb) I did not expect another big one this week. That and TOM's visit made me think it might be a stall or even a gain, so I will happily take the 0.3 kg (0.66 lb) loss I got this week. I would have liked another 200 grams to hit that 33 kg mark but no worries. So my total to date is 32.8 kg (72.31 lb) and that's cool. Very cool.

I do have a scale that also measures body fat, water and bone percentages and I don't generally mention those numbers, but it's interesting to note my percent body fat went from 45.8 at the start of my weight loss to 40.1 today, while water percentage was 39.5 at the start and 43.7 today. As I lose fat it stands to reason water would make up a larger percentage of my total weight. But the one I worry about is bone ... that went from 6.9% to 6.2%. That may not sound like a lot but it means I was 8.99 kg (19.82 lb) bone at the start and 6.06 kg (13.33 lb) now. I have read you can lose bone when losing weight and it concerns me at my age. I'm considering adding a daily women's multi-vitamin to help ensure I get enough nutrients including calcium. I think getting nutrients from your foods is always best, and the vitamins and minerals in pill form are not always easily used by our bodies but as I'll be on a reducing diet for at least another six months, it might be a good idea.

Unfortunately my scale doesn't give percentage of muscle, but I have definitely been doing a lot of weight-bearing exercise lately. This past week I exercised 6 out of 7 days and 3 of those included jogging intervals. Two were half hour walks and one was a 6K brisk walk that took us about an hour and ten minutes. With that and plenty of protein in my diet, hopefully I'm building muscle.

I got my 1901 Singer treadle sewing machine up and running yesterday ... now I just need to get some practice in before I attempt to take in some of the slacks that are just too big now. As I said, I'm no seamstress but I'll give it a go. Wish me luck!

6 comments:

  1. be sure you are getting lots of calcium rich veggies. Have you had a bone density test done yet? They are very easy. Might want to talk to your doctor about this; never too early, and then it could put your mind at ease. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't try to be too flash taking in the trousers... just make sure you trim back the seam, overstitch and press. It should be fine :) Well done on the loss, you're on fire!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys!

    Gwen, I'll ask the doctor about that ... I plan to go armed with my stats.

    Lynda, thanks for the advice. Definitely won't be flash, lol, just trying to get a bit more life out of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate you. No not really. Yes really! LOL Just playing. My eyes are green though but that is all on me.

    yeah for being so close to 75!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doing great Anna ...at the risk of repeating myself...menu plan, exercise, sleep it's all about getting the balance that's right for you - and as we get older it becomes more important.

    I'm sure you'll take care.

    Have a good week, and look forward to reading your next post.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete