Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Two recipes

As promised, here are two meals I've made this week. Monday we did have the Cajun Prawns with Cauliflower Rice, inspired by Primal Journey with minor modifications to suit Dr Poon. Her version also had coriander (cilantro) in it but i don't like it so i leave it out.

Then tonight I had some baked chicken breast with a BBQ mayo dipping sauce, and sautéed zucchini and broccoli with garlic and soy sauce. Both were good, but the chicken breast was a bit dry. Bone-in legs or thighs would have had more flavour, but I used what I had on hand.

CAJUN PRAWNS WITH CAULIFLOWER RICE
Serves 2

1-2 Tbsp olive oil for frying
1 zucchini, diced
1/2 large or 1 small green capsicum (bell pepper), cut in chunks
6 green onions, chopped
1/2c low-sodium chicken stock
1/2 head cauliflower
1 Tbsp Cajun seasoning
200g (7 oz) cooked prawns (shrimp)
1 Tbsp grated ginger
Small handful salted cashews
1-2 Tbsp lime juice

  1. Heat oil in a large frying pan and sauté zucchini, capsicum and green onions
  2. Meanwhile slice your cauliflower very thinly then chop finely (or pulse in your food processor) until it resembles 'rice'
  3. Once veggies are tender add Cajun seasoning and prawns and cook for a few minutes. 
  4. Add chicken stock, cauliflower, ginger and cashews and cook for about five minutes.
  5. Remove from the heat and stir in fresh lime juice and serve



BAKED CHICKEN W/DIPPING SAUCE AND SAUTÉED VEGGIES
Serves 2

For this you just need some baked chicken, skin removed either before or after cooking. On the side serve a bit of dipping sauce which I made with 1 Tbsp each low-fat mayo and no-sugar-added BBQ sauce, mixed well. It was nice. I also sautéed broccoli and zucchini and when nearly done added some garlic powder and a little low-sodium soy sauce. Very nice!


5 comments:

  1. Thankee! I have been eating a little bit (ok, a lot) off plan lately. When I saw your blog post the other day and I asked you for the recipe then realized you already posted it then i reminded me that this is how I should be eating. Lots of cabbage and cauliflower is the path I should take not the naughty path.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How was the cauliflower rice? This the is 2nd time I've come across this in the past couple of days and I'm curious about how it was?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do eat the Lazy Cabbage Casserole frequently, which has both cabbage and cauliflower in it. My stir fries do, too, and usually the cauliflower is chopped fine to resemble rice. I gotta say I had my doubts in the beginning, but this way of eating keeps me satisfied! I rarely get hungry and when I do it's not that ravenous blood sugar drop kind where you want carbs now! In fact I no longer crave carbs at all, and for me that's a big statement ... for years I lived for carbs, especially the junk ones, and was always planning stops before or after work when I could buy (and eat) them in secrecy. I do NOT miss that! And I do love watching the weight come off steadily, week after week. Hope you like some of these recipes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scribbles, I use cauliflower rice quite frequently and I love it. It adds bulk to meals so I don't miss the rice and while it doesn't taste like rice if you focus on it, it does taste good and I love it.

    This video shows the fastest way to rice your cauliflower if you have a blender:

    http://youtu.be/TW6UA90bnIo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Head nod

    When I was eating more this way I felt the same way with the being satisfied and no cravings. It is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry anonymous commenters, but you'll have to prove you're not a robot because the spammers were driving me crazy! They never get through yet they were persistent!