Monday, September 30, 2013

Slow Cooked Roast Beef

I put a heart-smart beef roast in the slow cooker this morning. I searched lots of recipes to get ideas for flavouring it with very little salt and in the end modified a very simple recipe I found. It was delicious!

This was a 1 kilo roast (about 2 pounds) and being the heart-smart one there was very little fat and hence very little shrinkage. First I mixed in the crock pot 1-1/2 cups of water, 2 Tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce, 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce, and about a Tbsp each of onion powder and garlic powder and 2 tsp fresh ground black pepper. I mixed that well, then added the roast, turning it a couple of times to coat all sides. Then I turned it on low before I left for work.

When I got home the house smelled fabulous, and then I realised I had a workout to do before dinner! Damn, that was a bad idea, doing three miles WATP with the delicious aromas of dinner in the air! Lol but I did it and got my full three miles in. Come dinner time I just cooked up some broccoli on the side and thoroughly enjoyed my meal.

4 comments:

  1. be careful of msg in soy sauce and worchestershire sauce. (oh, and fat isn't the enemy. LOL)

    Sounds delish! I LOVE crock pot roasts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks delicious. I'll cook a roast tomorrow for the wife (it's her favorite) and score "man points" :) It's a win-win!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gwen. Fat is the enemy on Dr Poon's Metabolic Diet, which is what I'm following - all meat must be extra low-fat. The other concerns are low carb and sodium. So that doesn't always leave a lot of options! Small amounts of low-sodium soy sauce and Worcestershire can be used, however, so I do use them. There is a maintenance phase if I ever make it that far, but others, like Leigh from Poonapalooza tend to transition to Paleo or Primal to maintain and I may do the same.

    Mark, on the rare occasion hubby cooks for me, he definitely earns points! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Sorry anonymous commenters, but you'll have to prove you're not a robot because the spammers were driving me crazy! They never get through yet they were persistent!