Monday, September 16, 2013

Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Peppers

Tonight's meal was similar to the cheesesteak quesadillas I make for hubby (I have just the filling piled onto a plate of salad), but instead of tortillas, I put the meat, onion and mushrooms into a green capsicum / bell pepper, top with some Kraft LiveFree very low-fat cheese and then bake 15 minutes. They were yum, and so easy to make!

You'll need:

  • 2 large green capsicum (bell peppers)
  • 400-450g (14-16 oz) lean beef steak, cut into strips
  • 3-4 shallots (green onions) sliced
  • 5-6 button mushrooms, sliced
  • 56g (about 2 oz) very low-fat (less than 5%) cheese
Preheat oven to about 180C (350F). Remove stems from capsicum, slice in half and remove seeds and white membranes. Plop into boiling water for 3-4 minutes to soften. Then drain.

Meanwhile lightly oil a frying pan or grill pan and cook the steak strips, onion and mushrooms over medium heat until meat is browned and veggies begin to soften.

Set each capsicum half in a square baking pan, open side up. Divide the meat mixture evenly between each one, then top evenly with the cheese. Pop into pre-heated oven for about 15 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and starting to brown.

My hubby added some chipotle aioli to his, but I enjoyed them as is. Very good! I love finding meals we can eat together, since he's not on the Dr Poon diet. I served a little salad on the side. :-)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Anna - When I was a kid we ate stuffed bell peppers all summer long, as my father grew them in his vegetable garden every year. This post brought back yummy memories:)

    ReplyDelete

Sorry anonymous commenters, but you'll have to prove you're not a robot because the spammers were driving me crazy! They never get through yet they were persistent!